Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Great Faith?

A couple of weeks ago, my friend was sharing his life story with our Small Group, and he said something that has really stuck with me. As he discussed some of his current struggles with various things, including faith, and compared how different his life is now from how it was several years ago, he said, "You know, it's easy to have great faith when you have a great life." Basically, he was saying that back when he had a family, career, and "stability," it wasn't all that hard to believe in and trust in God. Now that so much of that has been lost for him (at least for a little while), his faith is being tested. And that's actually not a bad thing.

As I sat there listening to him share, I contemplated the ease of my own life. Honestly, this was not the first time this thought had occurred to me; I am well aware that I have it easy. I have a wonderful husband and three amazing children, financial stability, the house, the dog, the picket fence (okay, not the picket fence), etc., etc.--you know, the "American dream." And sometimes I don't know what to do with that.

Is it bad to have these things? Is it wrong that I have a "good life"? Should I do something to intentionally make my life difficult? Or should I just be thankful? I really don't know what the answer is. Certainly I have problems and struggles and hurts, and I do find my faith challenged, but my friend is right--It's easy to have great faith when you have a great life.

I can both acknowledge and agree with that statement. I just don't know what to do with it.

1 comment:

Gary M said...

Thanks for sharing this. I like that you asked the question without insisting on the answer. That this was on your mind speaks volumes to me.